Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

BENEFITS OF LISTENING TO OTHERS



Other titles I considered for this post:
  • TWO HEADS ARE BETTER THAN ONE
  • OVERCOMING DUALISTIC THINKING
  • COMMUNICATION REQUIRES OPENNESS AND HUMILITY
This is an excellent TEDx talk by TJ Dawe of Beams and Struts. The author says it’s more important now than at any time in history to share what we know, and to approach each other with trust and respect rather than with fear and raised fists.  If my ego becomes invested in my own opinion, I will defend my position no matter what facts are being exchanged. It becomes a lose/lose situation...I don't learn anything, and all I've done is confirm my own biases and opinions!  If I "win" I make an enemy out of the other, guaranteeing they will never listen to anything I have to say, and further entrenching them in their own opinion...watch to discover the benefits that can be derived from actually listening to other points of view.

 

What's your opinion?  I promise I'll listen!

2 comments:

Andrew said...

He quotes Rohr!

Mae said...

Yeah, Rohr (who, of course, Rocks!), and he quotes a couple of other people that I've learned from - Ken Wilbur and Barbara Ehrenreich...I just discovered this website Beams and Struts and I'm looking forward to exploring there! I love the cooperative aspect, as I'm so seeing the way forward is to develop a society of cooperation rather than competition; partnership rather than domination. Thanks for commenting, Andrew!